In the Spring of 2011 we became aware that homeschoolers in our community offered us a unique opportunity to offer youth classes during weekday hours. This gave us the idea that we could serve our youth who homeschool. The response to our free introduction to sailing day was a huge success. We then began an introduction to sailing class specifically for homeschoolers. The popularity of this class prompted us to continue the program throughout 2011.
In 2012 we are happy to continue serving the homeschooling youth of the community by offering continuing education classes on Wednesday afternoons from 12:00pm-4:00pm while still offering Learn to Sail classes for homeschool children who would like to begin sailing.
Don’t miss this chance for your homeschoolers to learn sailing with our Home Schooling program! Once basic sailing techniques have been mastered your student will be invited to participate in Continuing Education for Sailing (membership required), which includes racing techniques and regatta training.
To make each day of sailing a fun and rewarding experience we suggest that all sailors bring sunblock, watershoes (crocks or opened toed shoes are not allowed), a snack, and water.
Learn to Sail Class
12:00pm – 4:30pm
Members: $125 Non-Member: $175
Want save some money? Ask about our Member and Multiple Enrollment discounts.
Who wants to sit inside all day to learn? Homeschoolers learn while spending the day sailing on the Charlotte Harbor!
Print and fill out the following forms and either bring them to you first class or mail them to:
Charlotte Harbor Community Sailing Center
19246 Palmdale Ct.
Port Charlotte Fl. 33948
Click Here for info about our Continuing Education class.
FREE Homeschool Sailing, Oceanography,& Weather Resources for lapbooks, unit studies, fictional book study, and activities that are just for fun! Turn your child’s sailing adventure into a complete school study~
- How to Fold Nautical Paper Boats
- Easy Sailboat Snack
- Sailboat Sandwiches
- Make Your Own Toy Sailboat
- Fun Nautical Tic-Tac-Toe
- Nim’s Island Lapbook Study (Elem-MS)
- Stuart Little Lapbook Study (Elem)
- Mr. Bowditch Unit Study (MS-HS)
- My Blue Boat (Elem)
- The Science of Sailing & Navigation (Elem-MS)
- History of Sailboats (Elem-HS)
- History of the Opti (MS-HS)
- Clark Mills, designer of the Opti (MS-HS)
- Clark Mills, designer of the Opti (Elem)
- History of the Sunfish (Elem-HS)
- History of Sailing (Elem-HS)
- The History of Sailing Ships (MS-HS)
- Sailboat History Timeline (Elem-HS)
- Basic Sailing (Elem-HS) (nautical flags, knots, types of boats, safety, terms, boat types)
- Weather Lapbook (Elem-MS)
- Weather Lapbook II (Elem-MS)
- The History of Sailing–Goofy style (Elem-HS)
- OceanographyLapbook (Elem)
- Ocean Unit Study (Elem-MS)
- How to make a catamaran with PVC pipe (MS-HS)
- Simplicity Boat Building (MS-HS)
- The Physics of Sailing (MS-HS)
- The Science of Sailing (MS-HS)
- The History of Navigation (Elem-HS)
- How to Use Nautical Charts (MS-HS)
- Tides (Elem-HS) (Be sure to check out the other goodies on the left sidebar!)
- How the Moon Affects Tides (Elem-MS)
- Tide Earth Science (HS)
- How do life jackets hold you up? (Elem-HS)
- Boat Safe Sailing (Elem-HS) (TONS of info, but be sure to scroll down to Sailing and Boat Safe Kids!)